Here’s What We Know:
- Globally, physical inactivity has reached pandemic proportions.
- The first ten years of life are game-changing. These years provide a critical window for creating a lifelong commitment to physical activity.
- Research shows that kids need at least 60 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity (MVPA) per day — and only 1 in 5 kids currently reaches that minimum.
- Physical inactivity and poor food choices cause all sorts of problems — like diabetes, problem behavior, low self-esteem, heart disease, mental health issues, liver disease and poor school performance.
- An inactive childhood often leads to an inactive adulthood — meaning this generation of children might be the first to have a shorter lifespan than their parents.
- Active kids do better.
Our Solution: Choose to Move
Our answer to reverse this trend of inactivity: get kids moving in a surprisingly simple, totally fun way.
The vast majority of kids don’t get the 60 minutes of physical activity they need each day. Marathon Kids running clubs are proven effective—even transformational—for millions of kids, organizations and schools.
Each Marathon Kids running club participant has a goal of completing four marathons (104.8 miles) incrementally over the course of the running club season. Our methods have been tested, researched and revised — and they work. Really well. Kids of all levels and abilities run or walk a lap at a time, a day at a time, and before they know it they’ve gone farther than they ever dreamed. And they keep on running.
Marathon Kids works for any kid, at any fitness level. Kids set goals and track progress. They learn to fuel their bodies so that they can run better, faster, longer. And for a little extra motivation, they earn Nike rewards at marathon milestones. They also have a network of adults who show them how it’s done.
Every kid deserves the chance to be happy and healthy. That’s why Marathon Kids provides the tools, motivation and support to help get kids active. Let’s get them running!